Sunday, January 29, 2012

Shilla in K-town

In NYC, when you want good Korean food, you go to K-town. Tonight, a bunch of us went and had a feast at Shilla. Ugh! So MUCH FOOOOOOD!!! I really wanted to try Bibimbap for the first time. I love Asian food - but I had yet to try Bibimbap! Weird, right? I was reeeealllly looking forward to runny egg yolk. We ordered a pork version at first and the server said there were no veggies in that version. So we opted for the chicken version. It was really good - I can't deny that. BUT - there was no egg! BAH! Tip to you first time Bibimbap eaters - stir that shit! That rice will burn in that hot pot!

 Chicken Teriyaki Gobdol: chicken teriyaki, vegetables in hot pot

 Bulgolgi with bib lettuce, bean sprouts and spicy sauce. Probably my #1 pleaser of the night! I wish I had more of these! This meat was scrump-diddly-umptious. And on lettuce with condiments it was heaven! My favorite bite all night for sure!

Tuck Po Ki: spicy rice cake stew w/ vegetables. I've had rice cakes before and I loved them then just as I knew I would now. I ate these two pieces of rice cake like I was eating treasure. They are chewy and divine - like gnocchi but better.

Haemool Or Kimchi Pajun: seafood/kimchi scallion pancake. Holy hell. Really yummy but super heavy. I could only eat half of what was on my plate.

 Beef Ribs. Delishhhhhhh! Super fatty and chewy but sweet and meaty too. I ate these outright. No bib lettuce involved. We also had pork belly - not sure where that photo went - but it was also delicious.

Broiled Yellow Corina: lightly salted broiled Croaker. I was scared of this guy but I found breaking him apart with my hands wasn't too bad. I ate around the bones. Really yummy actually!

2 comments:

Curtis D Williams said...

grilled meats! YUMMY

Crystal W. said...

Mmmm. A friend of ours used to make bulgogi lettuce wraps for us every so often. It's super easy to make at home.