Saturday, January 21, 2012

Bacon-Braised Collard Greens

I've made this a ton of times before, but here it is again. I'm probably doing my Southern roots some disgrace by not using a ham hock in this recipe but I don't care. Bacon works just as well and besides, I'm a New Yorker now. :)

Ingredients:
A giant bushel of collard greens
1/2 chopped onion
3 pieces of bacon
2 tsp white wine vinegar
2 cap fulls liquid smoke
4 c water

In a large pot add onion and bacon and let simmer until onions are cooked. The bacon doesn't have to be crispy, in fact, it shouldn't be. Take your cabbage and separate the leaves from the stem and the vein of the leaf. Cut leaves into large pieces. Add 2 cups of water and then add greens. I had to add my greens in phases. I had too much to fit into the pot at once so I had to add a bunch, let it cook down (2 - 3 minutes), then added more. Once all the greens are in the pot, let them cook down for about 5 minutes then add the vinegar, liquid smoke and rest of the water. Put a lid on the pot and let it cook on low heat for several hours (3 to 4). The collards will not be bright green when they are done - they turn more of a deep green (olive) when they are cooked.

No comments: