Sunday, January 1, 2012

Edi and the Wolf

I spent New Year's Eve day with my lovely friend Sara having brunch at Edi and the Wolf in the East Village. I've been here three times already, it's a super cute brunch spot. (Never tried dinner - one day I will). I noticed when I came in that they changed their menu slightly (they got rid of their Toasted Tartines (aka "Belegtes Brot") and added a poached egg dish). All my last visits involved me ordering the prized Schnitzel Burger: heritage pig, sliced challah, cucumber salad, shredded cabbage, lemon aioli and spicy tomato. If it's your first time at this Austrian joint, I'd go with the Schnitzel Burger, but since I was looking to change things up I tried the poached egg dish. (Pictured above). The dish itself was good but the eggs were a little under to my liking. I prefer the whites cooked a bit more through - but that's my taste. The concept of the dish was right up my alley though - fresh cooked spinach with runny egg yolk and nuggets of yummy goat cheese and pumpernickel croutons. Delish! It was a light way to start the day, but I ruined that when I sat down and devoured a nice slice of challah bread with butter and jam and ordered a mimosa to wash it all down. Duh - this is how brunch works, ok?

I mentioned it being a cute place. Here's a photo. I didn't take this photo. NY Mag did in an article I found here, so take your credits NY Mag. :) In the summer they open up the garage door in the front of the house and really gives you the feeling of dining al fresco. But it's equally enjoyable in the winter too when the door is down. All the green makes me feel like I've got this secret hidden garden to eat in only a few blocks from me. Me likey!

No comments: