Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Bondi Road

Talk about bang for your buck! I had a lovely girls night at Bondi Road the other night and it was due to the company (of course), but also the awesome wait staff and killer pre-fixe. I got to the restaurant first and was greeted by this super friendly Aussie. I didn't have my whole party with me, but she sat me anyway. Awesome. While I was waiting, she explained the way Monday Night Dinners work there. It's a $20 four course pre-fixe. No a la carte options. At first I was like, "Whoa - but I don't want all this food?!" And then she proceeded to tell me that the meal also included FIVE drinks. I said, "What? Five drinks and all this food for $20?" And she said, "Yes, ma'am!" I was stunned. What an amazing deal - how does this place make any money?? The drinks are good and strong - I kept having the same thing called a "Sunburn": passionfruit tequila, strawberries and oj. It was yummy. My friend Sara kept ordering the same thing too, except she had something called: "Surf's Up": pineapple rum, watermelon, lemonade, splash of blue Curacao. Zoe had something called: "Greyhound": vodka and grapefruit. It made for a rainbow of beverages on the table. I know you're wondering - if they are good strong drinks, how did you drink all 5? Well, we didn't. We gave up a few rounds in and left our fun raffle tickets on the table. We also couldn't eat all the food in the pre-fixe, it was just too much!

I took photos of all the courses, but some didn't come out that great. My camera phone flash is kind of ridiculous and I only turned it on once. Any hoo, the meal began with your choice of a garden salad or fried calamari. We got 2 salads and one person got the calamari. The portion sizes were normal, which worried me from the get. I knew I couldn't eat 4 normal size dishes, so we started jumping around. Next we got mussels. They had two kinds: Mussels with Coopers beer and mussels with tomato and wine. The broth was really yummy but the mussels weren't that great. I had a few that were really gritty. There was a pasta course in the menu but none of us ordered it - we skipped it entirely, but for all you dying to know, it was "Pesto Shark": chunks of fresh shark tossed with bacon in pesto. Finally, I ordered my fish and chips. It was a huge portion (as you can see from the pic above), but they did right by it. It was super fresh and came with vinegar! Zoe and Sara ordered a "burger with the lot" (seen in the background). Holy hell, that thing had everything on it: caramelized onion, bacon, cheese, beets, fried egg, lettuce, tomato and pineapple. Yeah - I know! Strange combo, but they loved them. Anyways, if you're looking for super friendly staff and a ton of food and drink for a cheap price, this is your place.




No comments: