Sunday, January 1, 2012

How to Cheat at Poaching Eggs

I love eggs - particularly ones with a runny center and cooked whites. Poached eggs are the best, but unless you have great technique (or waste a carton of eggs and a few hours trying to master this technique), making a perfectly poached egg can be quite frustrating. Unless, that is, you have a cheat method like I do. I got this tip offline so it's not my own but it works perfectly. All you have to do is take 2 measuring cups or coffee cups and line with a square of saran wrap. Make sure it's a big enough piece because you need to tie the egg up. Crack the egg and place it in the cup. Tie him up. I grab the opposite corners and make a loose knot.

Drop your egg bundle into a pot of boiling water. It must be at a rapid boil or this won't work. I set my kitchen timer to 4 minutes but for you first timers I would do 3 min and 45 seconds. Unwrapping these suckers can be a slow process and the egg will continue to cook. When time is up carefully pull the eggs out of the boiling water one by one and set them on the counter. (I usually hold onto a piece of saran wrap that isn't touching the water so I don't burn myself). Carefully untie your egg. The saran wrap should pull off easily but you have to do it slowly.

You can put your poached egg onto anything - I put mine on a bed of arugula with light balsamic dressing, cherry tomatoes, 1 tsp feta cheese and 1 piece of crumbled bacon. Since it's New Year's Day - I'd though I'd start off with a salad for breakfast.

No comments: