Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Best Way to Serve Soup


in a bread bowl!

I had my first bread bowl in Ghent (Norfolk, VA) at some little coffee shop that served soup and sandwiches. I was a freshman in high school I believe and the spot was so cute it had coffee mugs hanging on the wall that belonged to the regulars. I want to say it was Baker's Crust but I don't think it's that easy. Honestly, I think the place isn't there anymore...but, I digress...Here's what you'll need to make yours:
  • two small round loafs of bread ( you will most likely find sourdough and italian in a round shape)
  • olive oil for brushing
  • basting brush


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut a circular piece off the top of the loaf with a serrated knife. Remove bread on the inside, making it hollow. Leave about 1 1/2 inches thick on the inside. Using your basting brush, brush olive oil on the inside of the bread bowl. This creates a seal, ensuring whatever you put in the bread bowl will not leak out. Bake bread bowl on a baking sheet for 15 minutes, until golden on the inside. Remove from oven, fill with desired soup or stew and serve! Tip: thicker soups work better - like the New England Clam Chowder seen above that I used. (Campbell's Select has one that's only 120 calories) You can also save the top and dip it into your soup and then devour the bowl! Yummers!

No comments: