Saturday, February 25, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

I picked up this recipe online and only made one change - I used black beans instead of "chili beans". You'd think this would be a no brainer - all the ingredients sound amazing, why wouldn't this be amazing? Well...look at it! It looks like vomit! Why on earth would the recipe tell you to mix a jar of salsa into a sour cream mixture? It made my filling pink! WOOF! Also, the raw onions didn't sit right with me either. The recipe should have made you saute them first. Ugh - fail. Crystal B. - when you finally get around to making this AVOID this recipe. You're welcome.


Ingredients


1 (16 ounce) container sour cream 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup 1/4 cup diced onion 1 (8 ounce) can chili beans, drained 6 (12 inch) flour tortillas, cut into strips 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cooked and shredded 4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a large bowl, mix sour cream, salsa, cream of chicken soup, onion and chili beans.

Layer the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish with 1/3 tortilla strips. Top with 1/3 chicken, 1/3 sour cream mixture and 1/3 Cheddar cheese. Repeat layering with remaining ingredients.

Bake in the preheated oven 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden and bubbly. Let stand about 10 minutes.

5 comments:

Kay said...

Adrienne, it's Robin's mom. I just read this and laughed out loud! Poor girl, at least you tried.

I have a fantastic Chicken Enchilada Casserole that I got from my best friend who moved from VA to New Mexico years ago. This stuff is the bomb! And it doesn't look like vomit. Want the recipe? Let Robin know and I'll send it to you. :)

~Kay

Adrienne said...

LOL! I knew once I mixed up that sour cream that we were headed south with a quickness. I would LOVE your recipe! My email is adrienne.horan@gmail.com.

Kay said...

Coming up! My address is kayreed126@gmail.com. :)

Anonymous said...

I can give you a recipe off the top of my head that would work out better than this one. Hit a sista up.

-Crystal

Adrienne said...

Crystal, thanks girl. You can email it to me, but I got one already that I think I'll be doing a round two of next. When I post it, I'll let you know and you can tell me how it compares to your recipe.