Saturday, March 10, 2012

Fonda

 We went to Fonda last night to celebrate my sous chef's birthday. The place had some high notes and some low notes. First high note: I started my meal with an Oro Margarita. This is the Cadillac Margarita made with a cazadores reposado tequila & grand marnier.

 Second high note: Guacamole for the table. Guacamole made to order, served with hand pressed tortillas, chips and pasilla de Oaxaca salsa.

 Curtis got the special and he really loved it. It was chicken enchiladas with a mole sauce. So - another high note. (I'm glad the birthday boy liked his dinner). 

 Now for the low note: I ordered FLAUTAS DE POLLO: Two crispy tortillas filled with shredded chicken, topped with salsa verde, pasilla de Oaxaca salsa, queso fresco and crema. They were good, but I was expecting them to be stacked - not rolled and fried. They were more like taquitos then flautas. Also - the red one was so extremely spicy, my mouth was on fire. Plus, the edges of it were burnt. FAIL. But worse than that was the JICAMA BOTANA: Jicama, cucumber, carrots and orange with lime juice and chile de arbol. This dish was so stupid. You can see it in my photo to the far left. It was literally giant cuts of raw carrot, jicama and cucumber. Then some orange segments on the side. I was beyond confused since I was expecting a salad! I combined everything into the tiny bowl and asked the server if this was how it was meant to be eaten. She said yes. I can't believe I paid $7 for this poorly executed plate of nonsense.

My cousin ordered MELTED CHEESE WITH GRILLED CHORIZO: Mexican chorizo with Oaxaca and Chihuahua cheeses, fresh tomatillo-serrano salsa and soft corn tortillas. This dish wasn't bad - but it wasn't great either. My issue with the dish is that the skillet didn't keep the cheese warm. After a few minutes, the cheese was cold and basically stuck to the skillet. You couldn't even scoop it out. FAIL. She paired hers with the FONDA SALAD: Romaine lettuce, baby spinach, water cress, jicama and cucumber strips, shredded carrots and passion fruit. Well, it's good to know they can get one salad right. Maybe next time I'll get that one...wait, next time? Mmm....no thanks. I'll stick to Mexican Radio - where they NEVER disappoint.

No comments: