Monday, March 26, 2012

Grilled Scallops with Honeydew-Avocado Salsa

I learned something yesterday. Actually, I learned two things. One: avocado is a fruit. What the? Two: I'm not really a fan of deep sea scallops. Hmm. I had no idea. I got this from F&W ages ago and finally came around to making it. I was super bummed that I wasn't having a symphony in my mouth but I think it was just too much scallop for me. You scallop lovers must think I'm crazy, right? Well, tell ya what - on the next warm day make this for dinner and you'll be singing my praises. The salsa is unusual - it's sweet from the melon and buttery from the avocado and tart from the lime. I really wished I had some tortilla chips to scoop it up with! haha

Ingredients
Finely grated lime zest, plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 1/2 pounds honeydew melon, rind removed and melon cut into 1/4-inch dice (2 1/2 cups)
1 Hass avocado, cut into 1/4-inch dice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds large sea scallops
Light a grill. In a large bowl, combine the lime zest and juice with the 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the diced honeydew melon and avocado. Season the salsa with salt and black pepper.
Drizzle the scallops with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until nicely charred and just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the scallops to plates, spoon the salsa alongside and serve.

No comments: