Friday, March 9, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Casserole - Round 2

So, I made it again (with a different recipe of course). Thank you Kay! This time it came out much better! :)

2-3 boneless chicken breasts
chopped green chili, to taste (My friend started out using 2 small cans, but she's up to 4 cans now and think it's perfect. I used 3 cans)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 8-oz. sour cream
1 cup chicken stock (I used low sodium)
½ large onion, chopped
1 pkg. large corn tortillas
1 16-oz. bag shredded cheddar cheese (I used reduced fat)


Boil chicken for 1 hour. Drain water, carefully remove chicken and let it cool just enough to handle.

Shred chicken by hand and mix with next 5 ingredients.


Layer in greased baking dish as follows:

½ tortillas
½ chicken mixture
½ cheese
Repeat layers.


Recipe calls to bake at 350° until bubbly about 20-25 minutes but I could have gone a wee bit longer.


NOTES:

I make each tortilla layer just one tortilla thick, overlapping at edges. If you can't find large tortillas, use small ones. You can make this ahead of time, then keep it in the refrigerator (overnight if needed) until time to bake. It might take a few extra minutes in the oven, but it still comes out.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Poach the chicken breasts in water seasoned with spices (garlic, cumin,chili powder ect). Voila! There's your chicken stock & tasty chicken.