Monday, May 21, 2012

Creamy Carrot and Parsnip Soup



This photo is kinda blurry. I went to try to take another and then my camera died so this is all you get. This soup was really tasty and hearty but I'm so in the wrong season to make something like this. Not appropriate for summer at all. Oh well, it was still delicious. I have been making more soups lately. I like it. I need a blender though. Blending in small batches with my little chopper/blender is not ideal, but alas - this is NYC living. If I had a big blender I'd have nowhere to put it!

Ya need:
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 teaspoon minced peeled ginger
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3/4 pound parsnips (about 3), peeled and cut into 1/8- inch slices (about 2 cups)
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 c heavy cream
  • freshly grated nutmeg to taste


In a heavy saucepan cook the onion, the garlic, the ginger, the carrot, the celery, and the thyme in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until the onion is softened. Add the parsnips and the broth, bring the liquid to a boil, and simmer the mixture, covered, for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender. Purée the soup in a blender and return to the pan. Stir in the nutmeg, heavy cream, and salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: