Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Savory Mexican Pie



I found a recipe online for Mexican Humble Pie and since I'm resourceful, I doctored the recipe to use some leftover ingredients in our fridge. I was a little skeptical about the crust - it came out buttery and flaky and delicious! I was also not sure about the egg mixture on top. I didn't taste egg at all when I was eating these. I think it just helped to keep everything together. Man, I reaaaally enjoyed this. If you love Mexican food, you need to try this. I served mine with a dollop of sour cream.

What you need:
1 homemade pie crust (recipe below)
1 can corn, drained and rinsed
1 cup chili con queso
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon smokey paprika
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup salsa (I used hot)
2 eggs
2 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon olive oil
6 - 8  ounces ground beef

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Add the corn, queso dip, chili, paprika, green onions, and salsa. Mix to combine. Whisk together the two eggs and the shredded cheese. Heat olive oil in non-stick skillet. Add the shallot, saute a bit, then the beef. Cook until browned. Combine the corn mixture and meat. Mix and pour into pie crust. Pour the egg and cheese mixture on top. Cook for about 40-45 minutes until egg is done and cheese is melted.


Ingredients for crust:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled and diced
1/4 cup ice water


Directions:
In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate. IMPORTANT: Cook pie crust at 375 for 15 minutes before filling it.                

1 comment:

TND said...

Si, me gusta!