Sunday, April 8, 2012

Perfect Soft Boiled Eggs

Growing up, my dad used to eat soft boiled eggs. I used to think they were disgusting and then one day I tried them and now I love them! Making them can be tough, but lucky for you I researched this and I have the fail proof method!
Step 1: Get a pot of salted water to a boil. Make sure you have enough room in the pot so the eggs don't bang around and hit each other. Also, make sure you have enough water in the pot so that your eggs are completely submerged under water.

Step 2: Take a pin and puncture the wider part of the egg. I used a regular safety pin and placed it on the egg and gently tapped on it with the bottom of a spoon. Worked perfectly.

Step 3: Once the water is at a gentle boil, run eggs under hot water for 1 minute then add to pot. This ensures that the cold eggs don't crack when they meet boiling water.

Step 4: Using a spoon, lower eggs into pot one at a time. For extra large eggs set timer for 5 minutes exactly. Yolk will be nice and runny. For large eggs subtract a minute. Medium eggs subtract 2 minutes. Never cook less than 3 minutes.

Step 5: Remove eggs and rinse under cold water. Let them cool for 1 minute so you don't burn your hands.

Step 6: If you have an eggcup, use it. If not just use a bowl (like my dad would do). Crack the side of the egg (near the top) and remove the top of the egg. You can dip and scoop while the egg stays in its shell. Serve with buttered bread and a little salt and pepper on the side of the plate.

No comments: