Monday, June 4, 2012

Taverna Cretekou

 Before we made our way back to NYC, we stopped off at a pretty Greek restaurant in Alexandria, VA. It came highly reviewed on Yelp and was moderately priced. I really enjoy traditional Greek food. I love grilled meats, fresh fish, lemon, olive oil, and feta cheese. This place definitely looked the part (reminded me of being in Greece) and you could tell it was family run. Dinner started with bread and yummy homemade green olive oil. I had the flounder stuffed with spinach, feta, and pine nuts. It had a creamy lemon sauce on top, which I didn't mind but would have preferred with out. It was served with really simple rice and veggies.   

 Fried cheese appetizer. 

 Stuffed mushroom appetizer. 

 Traditional Greek Salad. 

My sous chef had the meat kabobs. I wished we had more time here, we had to run out and drive like crazy people to get us to the bus depot in time before our bus left. They had a really nice garden area in the back - I could totally see myself chilling back there with a bottle of white on a summer night. I would go back if I lived closer.

1 comment:

Crystal W. said...

I agree, the ambiance was nice. The people there were super friendly too; the owner was a cute little lady who calls you sweetheart and darling. Can't help but love that. Unfortunately, our dishes left a bit to be desired. Not bad, but not great. The lighting over our table hadn't been dusted since 1972 either, which is a thing with me. Not a horrible experience, but there are so many other nice places in Old Town Alexandria that I'm not sure if I'd go again. And that, my friend, is my two cents(b/c you asked for it ; ) )