Saturday, June 16, 2012

Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad with Bacon, Parmesan and Cranberries


I don't know if it's because I hiked for 3 hours today and was ravenous when I finally got home, or if this salad was simply the best thing ever. I'm going with the best thing ever. My god - I couldn't shovel fork fulls of this in my mouth fast enough, it was that outstanding. (And also hard to get a lot on your fork at once because the sprouts were shredded so finely). I served with Trader Joe's bulgogi. It was a first time purchase and it won't be my last - the flavors were authentic and the meat was delicious! Another dinner success!

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup (1/8 ounce) tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
4 slices bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled (I used turkey bacon!)
1/2 cup dried cranberries (or Craisins)
3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp kosher salt
cracked black pepper

DIRECTIONS
Holding each Brussels sprout by stem end, cut into very thin slices using a mandolin or the slicer blade in a food processor. Toss in a bowl to separate layers. (Tip: Trader Joe's sells shredded brussel sprouts already!) Add pine nuts, bacon, cranberries and parmesan cheese.

To make the vinaigrette whisk mustard and vinegar together. Drizzle in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pour over salad and toss to combine.

No comments: