Monday, June 4, 2012

Paula Deen's Pound Cake with Strawberries

 Doesn't this look beautiful? Well, not only is it pretty - it's delicious. This pound cake came out really good and the fruit and whipped cream really lightened it up for the summer BBQ where it was served. The cake was buttery and had hints of vanilla. The inside was moist and the edges crumbly. Want to know how it came out so awesome? I will tell you...

 This mixer made all the difference. Look, I know I'm married all ready but can we pretend that I have a registry so I can put this on it?! Who am I kidding? I don't have room for this! Ugh...I need to move...

Ingredients

1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, plus more for pan
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. With a mixer, cream butter and shortening together. Add sugar, a little at a time. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl and add to mixer alternately with milk, starting with the flour and ending with the flour. Mix in vanilla. Pour into a greased and floured tube pan and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Note: I baked mine for only one hour. Ovens vary - I'd check yours at 1 hour to be safe.

No comments: