Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Warm Brussel Sprouts and Red Cabbage Salad

 You are not going to believe me when I tell you that my husband ate every bit of this, but he did. He loved it. Why? Because I made my vegetables so slutty that he couldn't help but love this. Plus, I mean - I liked it too but I love cabbage anyway so there's really no contest. Also, look how pretty this is! Let's get started...

 This is what I mean when I say "make them slutty". Start with 4 pieces of diced of bacon. Fry it up until crispy and then add in diced up chorizo (about 1/2 cup). Just throw it right in with the bacon grease and all. Oh, I used a hickory smoked bacon and it was awesome. Get that if you can. Next step, add about 1 small yellow diced up onion. Let cook until onions are tender. Oh boy - all this bacon and chorizo is sure making my vegetable dish a whore!

 Next - add your red cabbage (chopped - about 4 cups or 1/2 a large cabbage) and your brussel sprouts (about 3 to 4 cups as well). Make sure you cut the bottoms off the sprouts and cut them in half before dumping into the pot. Give it a good stir and let cook for a few minutes before adding 1 cup of chicken broth. Let it cook for awhile (about 10 - 15 minutes or so) until the cabbage is tender.

I served mine with chicken because I wanted a trio of meat in this dish. It was super yummy and even though you got some bad stuff in there, you could still take her home to mom...or to work the next day for lunch. Enjoy!

No comments: