Thursday, August 27, 2009

Fruits and Veggies for 10 days...


So, I have to admit when I notice my jeans don't fit like they used to. I post about my food all the time so you know I'm not struggling to eat these days. However, my bad habits are catching up to me. I run and I work out, but I'm not consistent. I need a motivator but I don't want to hire a trainer. I've dabbled in detoxes before. I've done the Master Cleanse - the one with cayenne pepper, lemon juice and Grade B maple syrup. I lasted 3 days. It didn't work at all. Funny, as I write this now I realize how crazy that detox was. I sound like an idiot for attempting it. I know too many people that have done it so I guess their influence rubbed off on me. But now I find myself back in that place where I'm willing to try something drastic to get me the quick results I want. But I need more than spicy lemonade this time.


So, after a lot of research I've opted to do a fruit and vegetable diet for 10 days. It's the healthiest option out there because well...a) you're eating and b) these foods are packed with nutrients. But more over, I'll lose weight quickly and it will motivate me to keep it off. It's the boost I need to put me back on track. But I should point out one distinction- this is not a raw fruit and veggie detox. I will be cooking my veggies and incorporating organic soups and souffles, etc. into this. It's more of like a vegan diet without the bread.
So, why blog about it? I'm sure you are reading this and you think I'm either a) just plain nuts or b) sharing too much of my business. The truth is I know I can't eat stick to a hard core diet like this unless I'm accountable. Just knowing that I'm tracking this on my blog - or my "online journal" makes me feel more accountable. My friend Crystal was losing weight on Weight Watchers and she was blogging about it. I think it's a great motivator. Plus, I'm getting my co-worker on board for this. She is starting hers on Monday so we can motivate each other.


So here we go...Day One:
Breakfast:
Coffee (yeah, yeah I know. But it's only one cup)
Banana
Lunch:
Butternut Squash Souffle. (You can find these in the freezer section of the grocery store. Made by a company called Healthy Delights. Super low cal and really good for you. Made with egg whites and inlcudes 4 grams of fiber!)
.5 L aqua frio (I need to drink more water, so now seems like the time to do it).
Snack:
According to Odwalla's website, the Superfood drink's ingredients are: apple juice, peach, mango, strawberry and banana purees, spirulina, soy lecithin, vitamin c (ascorbic acid), wheat grass, barlet grass, wheat sprouts, jerusalem artichoke, lemon bioflavanoids and nova scotia dulse.
Dinner:
Trader Joe's Organic Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup. (In addition to being organic and vegan this soup is healthy, hearty and tasty.)
Two cups of baby spinach and one zucchini sliced into thin disks sauteed with a little bit of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil and Bragg Liquid Aminos. Incase you don't know-- Bragg Liquid Aminos is a Certified NON-GMO liquid protein concentrate, derived from healthy soybeans, that contains the following Essential and Non-essential Amino Acids in naturally occurring amounts: 16 Amino Acids! (Alanine, Arginine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Histidine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Proline, Serine, Threonine, Tyrosine, Valine, Lysine) It tastes like soy sauce folks!
Snack:
Fruit Naturals Red Grapefruit Cup
Yogi Detox tea - Caffeine-free DeTox Tea uses detoxifying herbs known traditionally as "blood cleansers." Both organic burdock (arctium lappa) and organic dandelion (taraxacum officinale) work together in this tea to facilitate the elimination of toxins.

1 comment:

Kurtis Powers said...

Haha, it doesn't sound crazy at all to me. We eat like this all the time. We actually have a huge bottle of Bragg too. And I'd be more than happy to hit the gym with you. I'm in everyday except on Saturday when I detox from healthy living at the pub!