Sunday, January 18, 2009

Brrrrr....unch!

We went to Dos Caminos for brunch today. I've been wanting to eat here again for months now, so today we finally treated ourselves. This place is hands down one of the top three brunch spots for me and there are four reasons why. One: the drinks. You get a prickly pear margarita with your meal at no extra cost:
This frozen piece of heaven is SO delicious. It's sweet yet tart and all you need is one, trust me. It beats a mimosa ANY DAY! The best part is when your glass freezes up and builds a layer of frost on the outside. :) The second best thing about this place is the food!

I'm a creature of habit and I always order the same thing when I come here. (Probably because I can't compare their Huevos Rancheros to anything else I've ever had). On the bottom of the plate is a layer of violet colored black beans (which you can't see because of the salty and tangy tomato sauce). The eggs (which rest on baked corn tortillas) are always over easy, never under cooked or over cooked. Tiny pieces of cured ham are hidden like gems in this dish. It's sprinkled with manchego cheese and a few slices of avocado top it off. If I eat this for brunch, I'm full ALL day! The next cool part about this place is the ambiance.

The location we went to is on Park Ave South and 27th St. To me, it's cooler than the one in Soho. When you walk in, they have these hollowed tree trunks hanging from the ceiling. They have carved designs in them so when they are lit up they look like unique lanterns. For brunch, they also have a live band and a woman that sings. Peep the video: (Notice it ends when a waiter walks in front of my camera and blocks the view.) Also, I kept telling Curtis that our singer was out of tone when she held her long notes. At first he didn't hear it, but then he did. The music here ranks lower than the musical stylings of our friends at Esperanto. Plus, the vibe at Esperanto is better too. People clap there after each song...not so much here. It's more background noise here than an actual performance.

The last best thing about this place is the price. Brunch was $30 total. In NYC, you can't beat that. I think at dinner time, the drinks alone are $10 a pop. We came here for dinner once a long, long time ago and it was horrible. Waaay over price and not worth the value. Brunch is a complete 180. You must go try!

No comments: