Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pot Roast

This dish reminded me of growing up. My mom loved to make pot roast. I ended up enjoying my dish but I wished I had company to help me eat it. It was too much food and I hate wasting food.

Ingredients
1 (3 to 4-pound) boneless chuck roast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons extra virgin oil
1 cup thinly sliced onion wedges
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 bay leaves
1 can beef broth
1/2 cup red wine
4 - 5 fresh parsley sprigs
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
3 cups water


Directions
Rub salt and pepper into the roast on both sides. Heat oil in a large pot and add onions and garlic. Place roast into pot and add beef broth, bouillon, water, wine, Worcestershire sauce, and the bay leaves. Top roast with parsley. Cover and cook on low heat for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until tender. Remove and discard the bay leaves.

*Cook's Note: If the gravy is not thick enough, remove the meat from the pan and pour the gravy into a saucepan. Bring to a boil and thicken it by adding 2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cold water, stirring constantly.

No comments: