Saturday, November 24, 2012

Next Day Turkey Soup

We don't eat a lot of leftovers in my house. I can pull over round 2 of Thanksgiving but then that's about it. Since I don't want to be wasteful, I'm usually finding ways to reinvent my leftovers. This is a BEYOND simple soup. It's classic and reminds me of winter days at grandma's house. Plus, it's a low calorie alternative to another round of Thanksgiving.

Ingredients
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups vegetable broth
1 small onion, diced
1 c carrots, chopped
1 c celery, chopped
2 c mini potatoes, cut in half
3 cups turkey meat, diced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups (or whatever you've got) leftover cooked Thanksgiving side vegetables (Brussels sprouts, green beans, lima beans, etc.)

Directions
In a large soup pot, heat garlic and onion in the olive oil. Allow to brown slightly and add carrots, and celery. Sweat over medium-low heat until softened, about 7 or 8 minutes. Add chicken and vegetable broth. (I used canned chicken stock and vegetable bouillon -- it came out tasting wonderful!) Add the turkey and the potatoes and cook about 10 minutes. Dice the leftover vegetables (here Brussels sprouts and green beans). When simmering, add Brussels sprouts and green beans to the soup. Bring it back up to a simmer. Taste your soup. I did NOT add any salt to mine - it was perfect, but taste yours and add salt if needed. Turn the heat off and cover. Allow to sit and steam for 5 to 7 minutes. Let simmer for 5 more minutes and serve.

No comments: