Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Vietnamese Cabbage and Chicken Salad

I came home from work and didn't feel like cooking at all. I was about to order a pizza when I stopped myself. No! I'm going to make something healthy! And I did. This salad is so crisp, flavorful and refreshing. I feel awesome eating it. I found the recipe on Food and Wine and altered it slightly.


1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3)
3 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed, sliced
1 1-inch piece fresh ginger
2 cups water
1 head green cabbage (about 2 1/2 pounds), shredded (about 2 1/2 quarts)
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
3 carrots, grated
2 tbsp red onion, diced
1 cup coarse-chopped mint, basil, cilantro, or dill, or a combination
1 apple, such as Granny Smith or Fuji, cored and thinly sliced

Rub the chicken breasts with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil. In a medium saucepan, combine the jalapeño, ginger, and water. Bring to a simmer, add the chicken, and cover the pan. Simmer for 5 minutes. Turn the heat off and let the chicken steam for 5 minutes. Remove the chicken breasts from the saucepan; when they are cool enough to handle, pull them into shreds.
Meanwhile, in a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the cabbage with the vinegar, fish sauce, lime juice, and the remaining 2 teaspoons salt. Toss and let stand for 10 minutes.
Add the carrots, onions, 1/2 cup of the herbs, and the apple to the cabbage mixture. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Serve the salad topped with the chicken and the remaining 1/2 cup herbs. (I mixed mine all up and I topped it with sliced almonds)

No comments: