Sunday, April 28, 2013

Watermelon, Mâche, and Pecan Salad

It's spring time! You know what that means? Time for some spring salads! This one I found online and decided to make because it seemed different and I had purchased the gorgonzola for another recipe anyway - I was half way there! I enjoyed the peppery aftertaste with the sweetness of the watermelon and the nuttiness of the pecans really heightened the dish. Note: I almost burned the crap out of my pecans. Toast with caution folks!

Ingredients
3/4 cup chopped pecans
5 cups seeded and cubed watermelon
1 (6-oz.) package mâche, thoroughly washed (I didn't have mâche, so I used bib lettuce -which according to the interwebs is an acceptable substitute...that or watercress.)
Pepper Jelly Vinaigrette (see below)
1 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Arrange pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake at 350° for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant. Cool on a wire rack 15 minutes or until completely cool.
2. Combine watermelon and mâche in a large bowl; add vinaigrette, tossing gently to coat. Transfer watermelon mixture to a serving platter, and sprinkle evenly with pecans and cheese.

Ingredients
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup pepper jelly
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon grated onion (I used shallots instead)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Preparation
1. Whisk together first 6 ingredients. Gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until blended.

No comments: