Monday, January 14, 2013

White Turkey Chili

 Go figure. I plated 4 beautiful bowls and forgot to take photos. You get a photo of the chili in the tupperware before it hits the fridge. Oy! I made this chili tonight and to my surprise my dinner guests had never had a white chili before. I was pretty happy to serve them up something new - although my sous chef said this was soup - not chili. Yes, I added about 1/2 cup more of chicken broth than I should have (I used 4 cups instead of 3 1/2), but I didn't think it was soup at all. You guys make it and get back to me on what you think. I garnished with chopped cilantro and fat-free sour cream (not pictured).

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno chile (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired), minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
31/2 cups chicken broth (fat-free)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 pound ground turkey
1 can cannellini beans (15.5 ounces), drained and rinsed
1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained and rinsed
Garnishes, such as lime wedges, cilantro, sour cream, and grated cheese

Directions
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, oregano, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add turkey and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Add beans and 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil, while mashing some of the beans against side of pan to release starch. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper; garnish as desired.

Cook's Note:
Mashing some of the beans during cooking gives you the texture of a slow-cooked sauce without adding to your kitchen time.

No comments: