Saturday, February 26, 2011

Employees Only

Curtis, Justin and I went to the Walter Reade Theater (right next to Juilliard in the Upper West Side) last night and saw "Submarino" - amazing film directed by Thomas Vinterberg (same guy that did the dogme-film, "Celebration" (which is also amazing). Two brothers meet at their mother's funeral, each in his way on a path of self-destruction, both haunted by a tragedy in their youth. Go see it! Anyways, I digress....

After the movie, we went to Employees Only in the West Village. This place has a very 1920s speak easy vibe to it. In fact, it's not clearly labeled as "Employees Only". You have to look for the neon psychic sign in the window to really know that you're there.
And looking at the dinner menu, you can tell they know how to make a cocktail or two - in fact, the bar area here gets SUPER crowded late night.

Small dining area.

I wish I got the one with the dried roses - so girly!

No, I wasn't flashing photos last night - thank the LAWD for the interwebs. Someone else did. But yeah, it looked exactly like this...the seated area for diners was on a raised platform behind the bar area. I was like..."Um, how do we leave?"

With dinner I had the Pimm's Cup: Pimm’s No.1 served tall with a blend of
Combier Royal, Fresh Lime Juice and Ginger Soda, garnished with Cucumbers & Fresh Mint.(thanks Yasmin for introducing me to these!)

To eat I had the Seared Salmon with Artichoke, Fingerling Potato & Mache. (Sorry other blogger- I stole your photo from the interwebs! The skin on the salmon was my favorite - it was crispy and delicious and it was just enough - they don't go crazy on portion size here).

Curtis and Justin both had Bellini's (Pureed White Peaches stirred with
Prosecco & dashes of Peach Cordial) with dinner (yummy - but sweet!) Curtis had Bacon Wrapped Lamb Chops with Salsa Verde. He also had Orecchiette Spicy House-made Pork Sausage,Arugula & Parmesan.

Justin had his most favorite Potato Gnocchi with Shitake, Oyster & Cremini Mushrooms. He also had Elk Loin with Kaboucha Squash & Broccoli Rabe in a Sage Brown Butter. I took a bite of all of their dishes and they were all very good. The lamp chop seemed like the whole thing was deep fried. It was very crispy! The gnocchi was good and I even ate a fungus and didn't mind it!

(Elk - in case you forgot what one looks like - and yes, I took a bite of him. Elk is kinda chewy for any of you adventurous carnivores out there looking to try him - Ahem, Friedy!).

For dessert Curtis had Butterscotch & Mascarpone Cheesecake with Sea Salt & Nut Brittle. Justin had Poached Apple ”Tufahija” with Candied Walnuts & Clove Scented Yogurt. Thank goodness I was with boys that let me take a bite of each! They were sooo good!
Again, my apologies and a thank you to all the folks that I stole photos from. I forgot my camera last night and well, you done good taking photos of the exact foods I needed. Bless you fellow foodies of America. :)

No comments: