Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Wine Reviews!

Before I start my first wine review entry I want to give you a few photos I took tonight of Christmas lights.
I walked to the grocery store on Ave C and saw this cute display on the way there.

I wish my building was decorated like this.

This giant tree is in the lobby of my office.

These three guys are also in my lobby. Yeah, we have a big lobby.

This tree is seen off in the distance from the ice rink in Bryant Park. Pretty, right?
Ok, now for the purpose of this post. Let's talk wine!
On first glance this wine label would make you question the taste. The wine is subtitled Cote du Bone Roan, a play on the phonetically identical Cote du Beaune and Rhone Valley wine regions in France.

The Rosenblum, founder and winemaker dedicated this wine to the "animals that bring joy to our lives each and every day." I think part of the proceeds even go to animal shelters so drinking it makes you feel good in several ways.

Rosenblum caught my attention in a 2005 edition of Wine Spectator magazine as the Number 3 wine of the year. It was the Zinfandel Rockplie Road Vineyard 2003 (94 points). You know I bought it!

It offers up ripe black fruit aromas --like black cherries and berries and also some notes of spice, and a little smoke. The label says the wine contains a whopping 14.9 percent alcohol, but it's so balanced that the only way you'd notice is if you drank the whole bottle. It's so good and a steal at Trader Joes for around $11!Joel Gott Cabernet 2006. This beauty was a gift from Joe Z. It was a random night last week and he came over for dinner after band practice. He happen to bring me one of my favorite wines.
He got it from this place called De Vino (they actually deliver --no kidding!). So we had it with dinner - of course!
The Cabernet is one of many Joel Gott creations. He also does a mean Zinfandel that he is well known for. "We make the wines from diverse vineyard sites, including high elevation rocky soil vineyards that produce concentrated wines as well as Napa Valley floor vineyards that produce wines with elegance and finesse." - From Gott's description of the wine on his site.
The color is a beautiful purple/ruby red, with aromas of blueberry and mocha. At first taste you get the richness of this wine and you realize it's fruit forward. It also has good structure, acidity, and sweet balanced tannins that leave an elegant finish. I love it!

Hope you liked my wine post. There will definetly be more!

No comments: