Friday, December 26, 2008

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of 80 and gradually approach 18." -Mark Twain.

We went to go see the thought-provoking-Fitzgerald-novella-inspiring-movie yesterday. And I decided to blog about all the positive elements from the film. If you care to see it, be prepared--it's nearly three hours long; however, worth it. Also, let me know what you thought of it too. For those of you who haven't seen it yet, I'll try to be vague as to not spoil the movie for you. The basic story is about a boy born in the body of a man in his twilight years who, as he ages, becomes younger and younger.

I'm using the main challenge of the movie as a spring board to this rambling post to which you are about to read. The main challenge: Mark Twains quote that inspired Fitzgerald's novella. That life would be infinitely happier if we could erase all the things that end up hurting us as we grow old. Anyone can tell you, you need to experience the pains of life (physical and mental) so that you can appreciate the good. With no pain, you lose all the valuable lessons you learn in life. I would like to think that it would be amazing to live life with hindsight, but I don't think having it would make life as rewarding.

I told someone I saw this film and he asked if it was sad. I asked, "How do you mean?" and he asked, "Do people die?" To which I answered, "Yes, a lot of people die actually." (Although that didn't make the movie sad, fyi) Death is a major theme in this film, specifically, how to deal with death. By a series of events (which I won't say), Benjamin is raised in a home for the elderly--a senior center if you will. Naturally, as he grows younger with age his housemates pass away. There is one part of the film where one of the characters tells him that we are meant to lose those that we love. She says, "How else would we realize how much they meant to us." I guess losing those you love reminds us of just how important that person was to begin with. And it reminds us of all the things that person taught us and how special your relationship was. Inevitably, everyone has to die. Knowing that death is a reality, it makes the present day a blessing. Following a carpe diem mentality, the film also raises thoughts on seizing your moment, no matter when in life.

Without giving too much away, there are several discussions in the film where characters regret things they never did or finished. This film raises the idea that it's never too late to go after what you want...whether that be a relationship with a woman or a man, a career path, a physical challenge, etc. There is one quote in the movie where Benjamin says: "I hope you live a life you're proud of. If not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again." These are powerful words because I fear too often people accept the cards they've been dealt and they settle with their life and all it's disappointments. I hope I never become that person.

1 comment:

Randy R. said...

Great Review,
I was thinking about seeing that new Clint Eastwood movie "Grand Torino". Could you go see that one and let me know if it's worth it before I spend any money? :-)

Uncle Randy in AZ