Sunday, November 24, 2013

Prickly Pear Cranberry Sauce

I started making my own cranberry sauce a few years ago. I can never go back to the canned stuff again. This year I made it different - I used prickly pears! Say what?! It really amped it up with that extra ingredient. I would recommend making it this year for your Thanksgiving feast.

1 pound prickly pears
1 cup sugar
1 (12 ounce) bag cranberries
Zest of 1 orange
Zest of half a lemon

I had never handled prickly pears before but I found out quickly that they have fine spines that are uber annoying. You can wash and scrub them off but I personally wouldn't handle them with bare hands. If you have gloves you're golden, otherwise stab them with a fork to balance them and using a knife cut the top and bottom off then the sides. If you managed to scrub them, cut the ends from the fruit, score one side and peel skin from flesh.

Chop up the fruit and put in a pot with 1/4 cup of water. Bring it up to a boil then reduce heat. Cook 5 minutes.

Strain puree through a fine sieve and discard seeds.

Combine prickly pear juice and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.

Add cranberries, lemon, and orange zest to pot and return to a boil.

Reduce heat to simmer 6-8 minutes, until cranberries begin to split.

Remove from heat to cool completely. Refrigerate before serving.

No comments: