Thursday, April 28, 2011

Rye

Our dear friend Patrick had a birthday dinner a little while ago and we ventured out to Rye in Brooklyn to celebrate with a little surprise dinner. Dinner was so much fun (it always is when you have good company)!


We had a pre-fixe and many folks ordered the Beet Ravioli as their first course: roasted beets, goat cheese, baby arugula, roasted tomatoes, toasted pine nuts & fresh basil. I opted for the House Smoked Sturgeon.

The smoked fish came with boulanger potatoes, bacon, frisee & quail egg. This photo I found of the dish shows it with caviar. I didn't get any caviar. Also - I've never been a fan of frisee but I rather enjoyed it this time. (It looks like it should be living in a fish tank - or in a bed of coral in the ocean.)

For dinner, Curtis had the Meatloaf sandwich made of: duck, veal and pork, topped with crispy buttermilk onions. Curtis loved it. I didn't order this because it sounded really heavy. I took a bite - it was darn good.

Joe and Haney had the Roasted Chicken with sage butternut squash & pancetta risotto. The chicken was cooked perfectly. Very delish! A bunch of the girls ordered the Grilled Berkshire pork belly served with white beans and brussel sprouts. I admit - I'm a big fan of pork belly BUT it has to be cooked properly. I don't like eating fat - I trim it off of everything! (The texture grosses me out!) But proper pork belly can melt in your mouth like a BBQ cloud. Rye's pork belly was really meaty and the fatty part could have been cooked longer. I didn't eat all of it because it was too chewy.

For dessert - we had two choices: Chocolate Cake with pistachio ice cream or warm donuts & ice cream. Whenever I see warm donuts I usually order them. These donuts were dense, cake-like donuts. (I prefer the fried airy kind). They were good - but I took a bite of someone's chocolate cake and that was better. I was so tired and full after dinner - we took cabs out of Brooklyn back to the city (ha ha - LAZY!). Again, the food was okay (not sure if I left feeling there was something I'd definitely be back for), but the dinner itself was super fun. I love this group of people. They rule.

No comments: