Saturday, July 10, 2010

Graffiti

So we went to Graffiti for dinner with our friend Justin tonight. It's a super cute Indian restaurant. Very tight space. We had 7:10 reservations. (Odd timing - I know). It was either that or 9:30 - so we went with the earlier slot. I wouldn't recommend just walking into this place on a weekend. I think the whole place only holds like 15 seats.

Now to the food...it's not your typical Indian cuisine. It's more traditional food with an Indian flair. All the dishes come out one at a time - perfect for sharing!! We ordered a damn feast!

My photos are inconsistent. Because the place was so tiny, there was family style seating. I felt awkward snapping away photos with other people at the table. This was: GREEN MANGO PANEER. It was a little spicy, but delicious! It was served with warm flat bread. If you've never had paneer, it's cheese with kind of texture and consistency that reminds me of mozzarella.

This is a photo I found on the web of the same thing. Notice the newsprint? That was our place mat. Cute idea!

This treat is called: ZUCCHINI HUMMUS PIZZA. It's light and very tasty. Even Curtis liked it and he hates zucchini!

Here is a picture of it I found off the web. It had crushed wasabi peas on top (which I wasn't so sure about, but it worked). Yum.

CHILI PORK DUMPLINGS, GRAPEFRUIT CONFIT: probably one of the highlights of the meal. The chili hits you first, followed by the citrus from the grapefruit.

PICKLED GINGER SCALLOPS, CANDIED RED CHILI. Scallops were sliced thin - really yummy!

Here's another photo (again off the web). I should probably just be annoying and use the flash.

CHICKPEA CRUSTED SKATE, MINT YOGURT SAUCE. This was really good too actually...crunchy crust on the fish with a mesculin salad on top. The yogurt sauce was on the side so you could decide how much (or little) you wanted.

BRAISED PORK BUNS, APRICOT CHUTNEY: This was Curtis's favorite. I loved the steam bun! The pork was juicy and spicy with strong flavors of star anise. The chutney was fresh - watch out for pits!

Here's a better photo I found...

GRAFFITI BURGER, GARLIC FINGERLING POTATOES, CHIPOTLE MAYONAISE. I opted out on this one - the boys split this. But I did taste one of the fries and they made me want to smack somebody, they were that good.

We had dessert too but forgot to take a picture of it: WARM TRUFFLE ALMOND STRAWBERRIES, PEPPER ICE CREAM. The warm truffle oil was really unique with the strawberry - but it worked with the black pepper ice cream and the almonds all together. Perhaps the couple on their first date distracted us. Imagine being drilled about why you chose to become a vegetarian and then argued with about your views on fidelity...thank god that poor girl had a good meal out of the deal - 'cause her date was a total tool. And yes, for you veg. friendly folk, they tailor their menu for Vegetarians and Gluten-free diets. Oh and Chef Mehta operates this joint...and he actually works there. I thanked him for a wonderful meal when we left. Man oh man, I love this city...

No comments: