Sunday, June 21, 2009

For my wine friends...

The label says, "Intense aromas and flavors of dark red berries, cranberry and cassis." Well, I remember what cassis is from blogging about wine before. Cassis is a hint of earthiness and is typical of the Sangiovese grape. What? You didn't know I was becoming smart at this, did you? Anyways, the wine label continues, "Full bodied yet elegant and supple...silky tannins (we all know what tannins are, no explanation)...food friendly." I would agree about the cassis but I don't get intense aromas. I think this Chianti is...ok. But again, I'm not like a chianti fanatic, so this is hard to judge.

Ah, Rosenblum. One of my favorite vineyards. This Zinfandel is very spicy and very fruit forward, so if that’s your preference this may be a good pick for you. Rosenblum is known for it's Zin's and while it's not the best Zin ever, it's a really good pick for a California Zin that won't break the bank at about $12 a bottle. On the nose it is mostly cedar, black pepper and plum. There is also a subtle cherry cola aroma. The palate is predominantly big blackberry flavor and raisin. There is also some plum and cherry with less intensity than the blackberry. The finish brings a touch of raspberry and a snappy spice giving this wine a nice complexity. The tannins are fine grained.

No comments: